Saturday, July 11, 2009

FRIENDS OF DAVID MYERSCOUGH

MEMORIES OF "RALPH" (DAVE)

I first met Dave rushing TKE at Long Beach State in 1961. We immediately became close friends. Our last year in school we lived together and for a very short time worked together in the railroad-switching yard in Los Angeles. Aside from all the fun we had being cheerleaders and partying, one of the best stories I can recall was on Friday morning we were both hung over and he was getting dressed for an on-campus interview. With one eye open I asked him where he was going. His reply was he was going to interview with a company called Xerox. I answered, “What the hell is a Xerox. He said, “I don’t know, but I heard it was a very good up and coming company”. We both laughed, I went back to sleep and he was with them for the next 35 years.

Some of the best times of my life were camping with Dave and Pinkie in the High Sierras. Becky adored “Ralph” and he adored “Gomez”, their nicknames for each other. We would fish all day and play bridge all night. When kids came we all camped together. Pinkie and he became my children’s God Parents and to this day they love both of them so much. As they moved around the country and the world we still staid in close touch sometimes spending family holidays together. Upon moving back to California we again began to see each other very often, playing golf once a week and seeing plays together on a regular basis.

In the last 15 or 16 years we have fished in Alaska and Baja at least once a year. Dave wasn’t the greatest fisherman I have ever met but he certainly was the luckiest. Others will tell of our infamous fishing trips. I can only say they were all true. It is ironic, but today The 24th of July we were planning to leave for a 9-day fishing trip to Alaska.

My family and I will miss him terribly, but I will especially miss his ribbing me about my golf game, my inability to catch the biggest fish, my drinking habits, my memory, or any other myriad of things we love to do together. He was truly one of a kind because the mold was broken when Dave came into this world and when he left this world he did it with spunk and courage. Everyone here today including myself will be someday joyously be reunited in Heaven.

God Bless you David, Dennis O’Hern and Family

JUST PLAIN MYERSCOUGH

Dave grew up in Lomita; we first met when we were both in high school. Dave went to Serra High School, a Catholic boys school, and I went to Narbonne, the local public school. We would see each other at many local hang-outs and Dave would come to the Narbonne Friday Night dances---we called them sock hops in those days. I am sure he was looking to meet girls as he went to a all boys school. He usually wore his Serra letterman’s jacket with its big “S” on the front. He had a flat-top. He was cool. We all danced to Fats Domino’s Blueberry Hill and Dave cut a unique figure with his version of the Lindy Hop. We usually ended up at Gonzales’ in Wilmington for a late nite greasy taco.

There are 6 Freeman boys in my family—but we also had one Myerscough brother. We knew and cared very much for each other’s families—Dave had 2 brothers, Don and Waltie, both preceded him in death. Along with Dave and the Myerscough family, I mourned both of their deaths; and today I mourn for my friend and brother Dave, but celebrate his life.

Dave, like his older brother Don, played football for Serra. Not so long ago, while Dave was in the hospital some of his old Serra schoolmates and Coach Altenberg came to the hospital and presented him with his jersey Number 31. Dave was frail, but that day he was alive with joy. It was plain to see the happiness old memories and old friends brought to him. Dave was proud of his High School class which included: scholars, company presidents, professors, lawyers, professional ball players and business owners. He missed his 50th reunion because of his hospitalization, but he was not forgotten by his classmates: so many sent him cards and messages of love. Dave confirmed an old football story during a very close game, Serra had to kick their way out of trouble. As their center, Dave had to make a good hike to keep them in the game. He hiked the ball and it sailed over the head of the punter and split the cross bars perfectly. He looked up and raised both arms looking for a 3 point field goal!

Friends—old and new were important to Dave, but nothing was more important than family. Dave was proud of Tod’s academic success at Fordham and of his graduate studies in London. He was equally proud of Heather’s achievements at Parsons NY School of Design and her ensuing career. Dave was jubilant at the weddings of both of his children. He welcomed with great joy Heather’s husband Brian and Tod’s bride Marwa.

During a conversation with Dave at Hoag hospital prior to his surgery, Dave and I chatted about two issues. A couple weeks earlier Dave had visited my office. He was very concerned about my clutter and the disarray there. If you’ve seen Dave’s rather messy desk, you can imagine how my office must look. I think he often gave me advice on “straightening up”. I plan on taking it one of these days.

More important, however, was the pride he took in explaining how He and Dennis O’hern had prepared a beautiful nursery for Heather’s then not yet born baby girl Paige. He was excited about the new grand daughter and his “hands on” contribution to her new home. In typical fashion he turned to Pinkie and asked her to send us photos of the nursery. The next day the photos of the beautiful pink nursery arrived—thanks to Pinkie’s technical assistance.

Dave redefined the term good husband- From the time he met her, Pinky was at the center of Dave’s life. When Dave met Pinkie, our outings to the Acapulco Inn and the Bayou suddenly subsided-- Pinkie was his soul-mate, and now he had better things to do. They had a beautiful wedding and most of the wedding party from 1964 is here- it was the last time I wore a tuxedo with tails. What a great day it was.

When Dave began his career with Xerox, boys’ nights out were completely over. He worked exceedingly hard, and would spend most nights up late preparing for the next day. Xerox became a part of his family. Dave’s father was unsure of his son’s future with a company he never heard of, but his doubts were dispelled when he was given a copy of a business magazine with his son’s photo on the front cover.

In spite of his never-ending work at Xerox Dave still found time to visit his family and to spend meaningful time with his severely handicapped brother Waltie.

All of us here know the great and successful career Dave built with Xerox. And we all know that Dave’s partner in this success—as in everything-- was his wife Pinkie.

In the early 80’s a rookie Xerox salesman from the Anaheim office, paid a call on my company. I needed two Xerox machines, but I knew I couldn’t buy them based on the performance of a young kid—I needed a price from Dave Myerscough. I insisted the salesman call Dave and get a special price for Dave Freeman. The poor guy squirmed and left- returning the next day with his sales manager. They still tried to close the deal. I picked up the phone and asked for Xerox Corporate’s number. I told Dave’s secretary it was a personal emergency, Dave picked up the phone and told me he was in a very important staff meeting the President. “Just buy them,” he said and “I will make it right”. The next week a semi-truck pulled up. I couldn’t believe the size of the machines. They were 914’s probably so-named as they had to weigh 914 pounds. I had them installed on opposite sides of my building, to provide stability should we have an earthquake. They were so big and powerful that everytime someone made a copy the lights would dim. Dave gave me the friendly Xerox lease plan- the lease that lasts forever- I think I am still paying for those machines today?

A few years ago, when Xerox was having a rough go of it, I called Dave and asked him how he was doing- He answered that he was in a kind of “Blue Funk”. A Totally Myerscough response. I think a “Blue Funk” is what many of us have been feeling since we lost Dave. Dave was hoping to have a family reunion and big party when he recuperated. While it is not the party any of us hoped for—Pinky has invited us to join her and the family at the house Dave so loved and celebrate the life and the love of a man whom we all admire and miss.

Oh Dave would be upset if I didn’t say that He was a Cheerleader!
In fact I have his sweater.

But he was not just any cheerleader he did it that Myerscough flair and style. He wore a Viking Fur Helmet with Horns. Classic Myerscough!

Dave you forgot your hat…..
Dave Freeman
Here's my memory of Dave:

Ah, yes, the first time I met Dave.... I was living in Colorado and so had not met him while he and Pinkie were dating in college and did not attend their wedding. However, when I was home in Long Beach, Pinkie invited me over to their apartment for dinner and to meet Dave. I was sort of a serious person back then, maybe even a little prudish, (much better now, thanks), and you can imagine my surprise, no, make that shock, when Dave came out of the shower into the living room with only a towel wrapped around his middle. He then turned away from Pinkie and me a did a sort of little dance with the towel, implying he was going to "bare all." I so clearly remember thinking, "What has Pinkie done?!!!!" Well, obviously, she knew a good man when she met Dave and this rather rotund (at that time) Xerox salesman became a wildly successful businessman.

BEST FRIENDS
I really only got to know and love Dave after he and Pinkie retired to California. In spite of his career success, I don't believe Dave measured success materially. I believe he measured it in the joy of his loving wife, Pinkie, son, Tod, daughter, Heather and their spouses and children. He measured it in the huge array of friends he and Pinkie gathered all over the world, and finally in the ability to give of himself, in so many ways, helping many, many friends and others, I'm sure he never met. I'll miss Dave, and we will all miss Dave. But we are so enriched for having known him....what a great guy he was.

Nicky Deeble Kenney

My friendship with him was in Greenwich, where Pinkie was the indescribable Church Secretary (ie: ran the whole place) where I worked, and Dave was the quintessential Trustee. He reorganized the whole way we conducted the business side of church, and patiently tutored all of us on the Pastoral Staff, who knew next to nothing about finance, in the most gracious way imaginable!- and always with that warmth and kindness that was mixed inexorably into his wisdom! We, at Stanwich Church, will never forget him! And oh how he loved to share his beautiful home with his church family. Every welcome party or farewell party seemed to find it's home at Dave and Pinkie's house, with no concern on their part about how many would show up. Dave welcomed friends and strangers alike in that authenticity of his that made everyone feel special.

And one more thing: we on staff there will never forget all the flowers Dave sent to Pinkie! Of course, we were dead with jealousy every time the delivery man came to the church office (yes, even in a church) but mostly awed at his sweet demonstrations of love for our Pinkie. And every time we admired a new sweater(or "outfit") she wore, she would smile and say "Dave picked it out for me".

So in his family life and in his church life, Dave was a most generous and caring man and wonderful man, and it all came packaged with that unforgettable giggle. I will always always thank God for the gift of Dave Myerscough in my life and in the life of Stanwich Church!

Most gratefully, Neely Towe

FRIEND FROM ROCHESTER
I sold the Myerscoughs three houses in Pittsford, one with Rochester zip on 36 Knollwood drive and I do have a few fun stories to share--
When I was showing Knollwood Drive it had been vacant for a long while and David was really trying to get Pinkie to buy this house and Pinkie called us as we were in another room and said Dave the water in the toilet is FROZEN- he quickly retorted" then well heat it up"-chuckle chuckle- Well they did buy the house and restored it to perfection, yet, it was still freezing cold in the winter-(oil burners could not rev up enough heat) and I remember playing bridge there one night that we had to wear coats--and the foyer chandelier was dripping water!!!!!!!! Oh there were so many fun times with them- then building a house with them in Pittsford was another event- Dave had to meet me out there on mornings about 7:00 A.M. and chat about the position of the house on the lot, and I cannot believe that I did not get frostbite on any of the several occasions. He always had to discuss each detail several times- and call me at night to do so- if I wasn't at the freezing lot.

Patti Burak


We are so blessed to have Dave and Pinkie as friends for the last 10 years. Our fondest memories are of our drive home from our season tickets at the Cabaret Series where we would all join in on a healthy critique of the singer, what they were wearing, their presentation and all the accompanying plusses and minuses of a performance. Dave loved listening to all the “American Standards” and if the singer got too “modern” on him, he was not happy. Chuck is especially fond of the times he and Dave got to play golf together wherein Chuck experienced Dave’s love/hate relationship with the game of golf. Chuck would always crack up when Dave let out his inner “longshoreman” language at errant golf shots and bad bounces. We have known Dave as a kind, gentle and caring soul these last 10 years and know that he will be well received into his Maker’s arms. Pinkie, we will always be there for you.

Love, Jane and Chuck Pifer


With a saddened heart but with the joy of having known your wonderful
husband, I would like to add this short but very real feeling about Dave. I
also attached a picture that if appropriate you can include. My sense is
that it was a reminder of Dave's willingness to share with his associates
and friends-in this case with the picture of several of us sharing the joy
of the new house, etc.

Judy and I have known Pinkie and Dave since 1979. Oh, it seems like
yesterday that this man with a natural smile came into our lives as a
business associate, boss and personal friend. Dave and I shared a house
while we were both on interim living in Rochester during the 1980's. I
could write volumes of the many "Dave" stories, but a common theme seems to
emerge across them all. Dave Myerscough was a man who stood up for what he
believed in and supported the people and friends that were in his circle.
He truly cared about people and was willing to sacrifice and defend for his
friends and associates in work and personal needs. I have never known him
to sacrifice honesty, integrity or the "right thing to do" in the many tough
situations that often exist in business and, in fact, life. This can be
said only for a few exceptional men. He was enthusiastic, a joy to be
around, incredibly creative and had a killer smile. Dave was always
inclusive of all people regardless of political position. Dave was a true
success in life with Pinkie, Todd and Heather; his business interests; his
circle of friends and associates; his Lord Jesus; and many that he never met
personally but inspired with his example. What he was will live on. We can
ask no more of this great man whom we will one day see again.

Ernie Riddle

It meant so much to me to reconnect with them both last March. They stayed on after everyone else had left, and we had such fun remembering college experiences and hearing about their time with Xerox. What a dear and successful man he was, and what courage they both showed during his illness. He is at peace now.

Ruth Ann Cullen (Martens)


BEST OF TIMES BRIDGEHAMPTON
Dave you will always be in our hearts! Pinkie we will always be there for you.
All our Love

Jean & Ray

Dave was like a brother to me during my first two years of college. He was so caring and giving at an age when so many young men were too busy with their own egos. Dave was unique in that way, and I believe he carried that quality throughout his too, too short life. Today, the world is a lesser place.

Judith Freeman

MY FRIEND DAVE

I have known Dave since he and Pinkie joined the Laguna Methodist Church in about 1997 where I had been a member for nearly 20 years. Dave was the type who jumped right into to the middle of things and assumed the office highest of the church in his second year of membership. He and I became fast friends as we had something in common. We could each be counted upon to get things done. We worked on the remodeling of the sanctuary, paving the parking lot and a dozen other mundane tasks. Dave was quick to analyze the problem and get to the solution without a lot of wasted motion.
It was no surprise when I heard he volunteered for the presidency of his HOA. Only a hopelessly enthusiastic positive thinker could want that job. You are volunteering to make enemies of half your neighbors and over petty issues. Dave took on the task with great vigor.
Dave invested in a number of deals with me in my real estate business over the years. He always needed to be “in the game” and was not averse to taking risks as are most retried businessmen. In fact he must be considered a failure at being retired. He had to be in on everything. He had this intensity about him. We loved to go to the Angels games together and he would sit there intensely involved in the action on the field. He did not waste time with small talk. You would think he had a thousand dollars on the outcome and maybe he did. He loved to bet on sports. I will never forget the time I went to a game with Dave and Pinkie and a blind date I brought from Match.com. Well she must have used a photo that was 15 years old as I felt like I was taking the mother of the girl in the photo. To add to the embarrassment she had a raspy voice like a cigar smoking truck driver. Boy did Dave ever make me pay for that one. EH was a great teaser and never failed to bring up that girl with questions like”do you still have that paper bag she wore to the game?”. He was especially quick to tease me about this date in front of more successful romantic endeavors such as my wife Carol. He was trying to keep my ego in check I suppose. He only teased people he loved and I will cherish his affection and our friendship forever. He was a true and steady friend and I will miss him for the rest of my days.
God Bless and keep you Dave Myerscough.

Frank Bower

Dave had such a grand presence about him. He always made himself known when he entered a room. I used to love watching my Mom laugh at his jokes. He made her laugh like no on else could. She used to call him "Ralph." He was like an uncle to me. I will never forget him.

It is weird to think that "Pinkie and Dave" won't be the same "Pinkie and Dave" anymore. I'm so used to always saying your names together that it is like they are one big name. All I can think of is that Dave was a wonderful man, but behind every great man is an even greater woman!!

Kelley O'Hern


Dave was always very supportive of all my endeavors. In film school at NYU, he even invested in one of my first short films. When I shot my first feature film, "Hurricane Streets," he visited the set. And years later when another film of mine screened in Newport Beach, he and Pinky showed up for that, too. But in 2004, Dave really came through when he opened the doors of his gorgeous Laguna Beach home to our MTV crew and let us shoot the now-famous scene of Kristen floating on a pink raft in his jacuzzi. Who knew this would be included in the main titles of the now legendary show "Laguna Beach?" Funny thing is that after all these years, no one has ever asked, "Why did the show never go back to that sweet house on the beach?" Or, "Did Kristin really live there?" "Are reality shows really real?" No! But we REALLY try to make them look good! Truth is, we tried to go back and shoot a graduation party for the entire cast their later that season, but the idea of a hundred teens stomping through such a gorgeous home didn't sit as well with Dave and Pinky than single girl floating in the tub.

I am very grateful for all the support Dave offered my over the years. And I'm sure I'm not the only one lucky enough to be on the receiving end of his goodness. His warm spirits will be missed, but never forgotten.

Morgan J. Freeman


Had a great stay at Dave and Pinkie's new home in Greenwich, Conneticutt. Quite a nice place right down the street from Leona Helmsley. (more to come)

Dennis O'Hern



A Bearded! Dave Myerscough! Going incognito with a few of his frat friends- Bill Harter, Stan Francus, Jim Burns, Rich Hollis, Paul Tonkovich, Dennis O'Hern, Dave Freeman and Bud Hickman. It was always special when Dave came back to town and had some free time!

HAPPY TIMES WITH DAVE

Dave and I met at Long Beach State College. We were both survivors of Catholic high schools and we found that we had played football against each other -- so we had an immediate bond. When we both pledged Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) Fraternity the fun was on! With his ready smile and great sense of humor, Dave was always the center of any activity. At parties, Dave was actually as good a dancer as he thought he was! He was famous for his "Alphonso the Great" skits at the annual 49er Day activities.

Dave’s greatest marketing success was winning Pinkie’s heart!

My highlights with Dave in the last 15 years or so were the annual fishing trips to Alaska and Mexico. All of Dave’s fishing buddies were astounded that Dave, who appeared to be a perennial novice at fishing, always seemed to catch the first fish and the largest fish of the trip! Once Dave caught a fish even though the reel fell off the rod! Another time, Dave caught a fish while the fish swam around cutting the fishing line of one of his buddies. Yet another time, Dave hooked a fish while he was apparently sleeping in the boat. Dave was either very lucky or like a crafty poker player, he would lull the rest of us into complacency. When he caught the first, largest, or most fish, he would start to verbally “ride” the rest of us, hoping to throw us off our game--it often worked! Dave just wanted to see how much pressure each of us could handle!
He made every fishing trip fun and memorable.

Dave was one-of-a-kind.
We will miss him and his joyfulness, energy, and sense of humanity.

With love,
Stan & Thelma Francus

No comments:

Post a Comment